So . . . Nick's blog entry about leaving and last impressions of Rwanda http://kimihurura.blogspot.com/ prompted me to create a similar sort of list of first impressions from my first week in Thailand, here goes:
Things I Hate So Far:
-The complete absence of toilet paper, except as an often too late offered napkin at a meal.
-That it is rainy season and soooooo humid and sticky.
-That I can't speak Thai, or Burmese . . . both of which would make life wayyy easier.
-Sleeping on a mat on the floor.
Things I'm Not Quite Sure About Yet:
-Running through the Thai countryside, decidedly better than Rwanda, but the jury is still out.
-My work (more on that to come).
-My roommates (also more on that to come).
Things I Love So Far:
-The price of food, and everything else for that matter . . . so cheap!
-Buying a bag of pineapple with salt and chili powder and a soda for 75 cents.
-Walking around barefoot inside every building, office, home, and sometimes stores.
-The smiling.
Brief, I know, but I've only been here a week . . . 

5 comments:
super jealous of the barefoot part! you didn't mention that before :)
Not jealous of sleeping on the mat by the door part. You didn't mention that either :-)Food looks good tho...
Rose, Glad you made it safely, and glad that at least there is so much smiling. :) Terri
Rose,
As you say give it time. With the humidity comes the lush vegitation wich I am sure is cool too.
Love ya'
Dad
i think you both should have taken the "roses buds and thorns" approach to these posts. but, this is good too :) you should take a river raft ride and check out the night market in chaing mai -- those will both be added to the things that you love list, for sure :)
xoxo
Post a Comment