Monday, December 8, 2008

Leaving Mae Sot

In the grand tradition of Nick and of Jacob before him and of Jacob’s cousin’s mother-in-law’s great Aunt Trudy before that, I’ve compiled my lists:

Things I will certainly miss:
-$$ the exchange rate $$
-The freshest coconut, pineapple and pomello (grapefruit but wayyyy better) on every corner.
-This guy, who makes sweet roti, curry, and naan for breakfast – it’s become my Friday tradition.
-The old Thai women who do aerobics at the community center in my village everyday from 5pm to 6pm and wear matching shirts depending on the day – never fails to bring a smile to my face. (Friday is purple, in case you were wondering.)
-The little-slice-of-heaven yoga studio that the ex-pat community has created out of someone’s porch in Mae Sot.
-Waking up with the sunrise.
-My amazing Burmese roommates, co-workers, and students who are so brave and hardworking. I’m convinced they will change the world someday.

Things I might miss:
-The crazy old Thai guy who stares at me in disbelief every morning when I run by his house as if I don’t run by his house every morning.
-The cook at my house – who’s food is mediocre at best and has not figured out that the only words I know in Burmese are “Gi-zu-tin-mar-eh - Thank You” and “Sa bi bi – I’ve already eaten.” But I love her anyways.
-The crazy assortment of goats, dogs, cattle, and the stray turkey that wander around the neighborhood of our office.
-Teaching English class, which is at once exhausting, frustrating, rewarding and inspiring.
Things I won’t miss:
-RICE
-The 40-minute bike ride into town that I swear is uphill both ways. (Sorry dad, I’m just never going to like this whole bicycling thing).
-Cold showers, hand-washing clothes, hard chairs, hard beds, hard pillows . . .
-The fact that I break out in a sweat from hitting space bar on my computer. All the while the Burmese and Thai not only never sweat, but they all put on their winter jackets (why they even have winter jackets is another question) the one day it was below 85 degrees.
-The tiny little ants that get in everything and are too small to squash, and mosquitoes and my never-ending state of itch. I might need rehab for my addiction to hydro-cortisone cream.

3 comments:

editor said...

great list! A wonderful window into your life in Mae Sot.
mom

Bill Ehler said...

That's okay with the bike, I hear it is down hill in all directions in California. A great list and I am sure Thailand will miss you too.

Dad

sbrett said...

i loved pomello, too! but i hear you on the sweat factor. glad it turned out to be a great few months (but i'm glad to have you back stateside :) )