I think that Al Gore is a great man. I even voted for him in my high school mock election in 2000. That being said . . . he had me fooled. After traveling to damn near the South Pole and getting myself all excited that I was going to be able to see a glacier before they were all gone (scientists have predicted that will be by 2050), I learned upon arriving that our particular glacier of choice, Perito Moreno, isn't in any danger. Unlike most glaciers currently retreating, Perito Moreno actually advances about 2 meters a day!
Maybe we should have gone to the Himalayas instead . . .
Kidding aside, the glacier was one of the most magnificent and awe inspiring things I've ever seen and I really do hope we can change this world and keep them around for generations to come.

Perito Moreno is in the Southern Andes range of Argentinian Patagonia. The glacier has become quite the travelers' destination and we weren't shy for company as bus after bus (including ours) dropped off tourists to see it. Only rarely did we get a quiet moment to enjoy the majesty of the view, but those few moments were so special. We could even hear the ice breaking and falling into the water below.

I'll finish by referring you to Nick's blog
http://www.nickcain.wordpress.com/, because even though I find the videos pretty embarrassing, you can hear the sound of the ice breaking which is absolutely phenomenal . . .
2 comments:
rose ehler should write more blog posts.
Absolutely Gorgeous! I think you should write Mr. Al a letter...haha
Post a Comment